Diabetic Caramal Custard
Rating: 4/5 - Votes: 2 - Views: 15883
Caramel custard made specially for the diabetic people
Total servings: 4-5
Pre-Prep time: 60mins
Preperation time: 25mins
Best for: Diabetics
How to serve: Cold
2-1/2 cups low fat milk
1 tablespoon custard powder
3 sachets sugar substitute
1/5 teaspoon vanilla essence
5 grams China grass (agar agar), cut into small pieces (about a palmfull)
1 teaspoon sugar for caramelising
1. Soak the China grass in 3/4 cup of cold water for 15 to 20 minutes. Put to cook on a slow flame until it dissolves. Keep warm.
2. In a pudding mould, add the sugar (for caramelising) and 1 teaspoon of water and continue cooking until the sugar becomes brown.
3. Spread the caramelised sugar all over the base of the mould, rotating the mould to spread it evenly. The sugar will harden quickly.
4. Mix the custard powder in 1/2 cup of cold milk.
5. Boil the remaining milk. When it comes to a boil, add the custard powder and milk mixture and continue cooking till you get a smooth sauce.
6. Add the China grass solution to the custard and boil again for 2 minutes.
7. Strain the mixture and cool it slightly. (Strain the mixture if it is lumpy).
8. Add the vanilla essence and sugar substitute and mix well. Pour this mixture over the prepared pudding mould. Allow to set in a refrigerator.
9. Before serving, loosen the sides with a sharp knife and invert on a plate.
You Can Serve it with your favorite fruits wedges.