Chicken Jhal Frezi
Rating: 3/5 - Votes: 3 - Views: 21919
Boneless Chicken chunks simmered in a tomato puree with a hint of spices and aroma of fresh cilantro and green chillies.
Total servings: 2-3
Preperation time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Best for: All
How to serve: Hot
1 TBS vegetable oil or canola oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in half
1 medium onions, chopped
1 (15 ounces) can chopped tomatoes
1 clove garlic, chopped or crushed
1 + 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp curry powder
1 + 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 TBS grated fresh ginger
1-1 1/2 green chilies, minced (only if you can handle it spicy) (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (also called coriander or chinese parsley) (optional)
1 1/2 tablespoons butter or ghee
1. Heat the oil in a medium or large skillet over medhigh heat.
2. Add the onions and sautee 2 minutes, add garlic and sautee 2 more minutes.
3. add the chicken, ground tumeric, chili powder and salt.
4. Fry for 5 minutes constantly stirring everything (if using a nonstick pan, scrape bottom as you stir).
5. Add the can of tomatoes, bring to boil, cover and simmer on medlow to low heat for 10 minutes.
6. Add ground cumin, curry powder, ground coriander ginger, and the optional green chilis, stir, cover again and simmer for another 10 minutes.
7. Remove cover, raise heat to to medium to evaporate some of the excess liquid, 7-8 minutes.
8. Add the butter/ghee, and cilantro, simmer on low heat 5-7 minutes and enjoy with chapati, roti, naan, or even pita bread!!